According to Chev. Guze Galea ‘in 1674, Grandmaster Nicolo Cottoner, built five windmills around Malta. One of these was the windmill built in Nigret, Zurrieq, known tal-Qaret.’

After some time, in 1724, Grandmaster re built another windmill next to it, known as ta’ Marmara, which was the surname of the first person to work in the same windmill, Luret Marmara.

The windmill known as tas-Salib, was built by the Gafa` family, and knows its name to the village cross situated just to the south west of the same windmill.

Another windmill is that known as tax-Xarolla, was built by Grandmaster Manoel de Vilhena, in 1724. In 1992, this was restored to its original working order is now the only functioning windmill in the islands of Malta and Gozo. This is a valuable witness of local culture and heritage still has parts of the original mechanisms and can still grain the wheat. In the year 2000, this building was passed over to be administered by the Zurrieq Local Council and is intended to serve also as a cultural centre.