The first initiative to form this twinning was put forward by the Mayor, Joe Cassar, after meeting a member of the Giunta di Borgo Maggiore, Republic of San Marino.
The parish church is dedicated to St.Catherine of Alexandria, and the present building is also one of the most profusely decorated of the area. Already a parish in 1436, it was soon enlarged, until in the 17th century the parishioners initiated a programme to build a much larger.
According to Chev. Guze Galea ‘in 1674, Grandmaster Nicolo Cottoner, built five windmills around Malta. One of these was the windmill built in Nigret, Zurrieq, known tal-Qaret.
In the village of Zurrieq, one will find various archaeological remains dating back from various periods. One of these early findings was discovered in 1885, in the land known as ” ta’ Danieri ” limits of “tal-Hlewwa”.